Saturday, April 28, 2007

Update on the 2007 Presidential Dollar Coins

Back in February I wrote about how the new Washington Presidential dollar coins were hard to find. Since I wrote that post, I returned to bank branches on several occasions and was finally able to obtain a $25 roll of these dollar coins. I am going to hold on to the roll and do not plan on opening the roll to see if there are and mis-strikes or error coins in the roll at this time.

I have yet to see any of the new dollar coins in circulation at any place other than at banks. It's pretty clear to me that people are hoarding these coins without any intention of using them as currency. I expect to eventually receive some of these coins in change at a postal stamp vending machine, but I would be very surprised to see them anywhere else other than at a coin shop.

A few months ago there were many articles being published about the new dollar coins and how they last far longer than paper dollars and that the maintenance cost of a dollar coin supply is therefore far less than that of a paper dollar coin supply. Many of these articles hinted at the possibility that these coins might eventually become widely used by shoppers. I honestly cannot see that ever happening. Paper dollars are far easier to carry in a wallet and take up less space and weigh far less. Dollar coins will probably never be viewed at anything other than a novelty unless or until the government abolishes paper dollars.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am from the Caribbean and we use dollar coins. They are as common to carry around as quarters and no one likes to use the paper dollars because they don't last long. I think the US just needs time to get accustomed to the dollar coins and in a few years no one will remember what the fuss was all about. It is just simple resistance to change as usual (no pun intended).